It is weekend and this, in my family means, my time for cooking. It may sound slightly strange, but being two passionate cooks, me and my husband had to define a simple routine, via which each of us will have access to the kitchen and an opportunity to delight by cooking for the other. As a working from home man, he has the pleasure to do so during the week, and I am returning the gesture in the weekend. Of course, the order is not always strictly followed, but I must admit, I rather enjoy to arrive in the evening at home, welcomed by the inviting aromas of a delicious meal and the warm embrace of my loved one. In the weekend however, relieved by the daily stress, it is such a pleasure for me to cook from the heart, amazing Francois with a new recipe or a dish that he really, really loves.
Knowing his preference for apples, I am preparing today this deliciously moist and juicy low fat Italian apple cake. The recipe has been slightly adapted from the original “La buona cucina di casa” cook book, adding vanilla and walnuts, but in essence this still remains the lightest and less caloric cake I have ever made. Isn’t it a wonder that a cake can be really made without using butter or any type of oils, and yet to be still so deliciously delightful?
Slightly moist, light and spongy, this cake with leave you smiling, reaching quickly for a second slice. With less then 116 calories per piece, we could easily afford it, don’t we?
For the ones not truly shying from a real temptation, this cake could be deliciously served with a scoop of ice-cream or a generous teaspoon of caramel dulce de leche.
- 750g apples (Pink Lady or Granny’s Smith)
- 2 eggs
- 100g light brown sugar (or granulated sugar)
- 1 package Vanilla sugar essence Dr. Oetker (8g)
- the zest of 1 lemon, grated
- a pinch of salt
- 130g all-purpose flour, sifted
- 75 ml low fat milk (or full fat milk)
- 12g (3 teaspoons) baking powder
- 100g walnuts
- 1tbsp sugar to sprinkle on top
- icing sugar for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.2. Grease and flour a 22 cm pan and set aside.
2. Peel, core and thinly slice the apples. Place the eggs, sugar,vanilla, lemon zest and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until thick and creamy.Add the flour, baking powder, milk, and beat until well combined. Add two thirds of the apples and the chopped walnuts to the batter and mix with a wooden spoon or a spatula.
3. Place the batter in the prepared pan. Arrange the remaining apple slices over the top of the batter. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of brown sugar (optional).
4. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
5. Dust the low fat apple cake with powdered sugar before serving.